XDCAM not smooth in premiere CS5.5

Editing XDCAM with Adobe Premiere
blit

Re: XDCAM not smooth in premiere CS5.5

Post by blit » November 26th, 2012, 6:14 pm

Hi

Okay. Let's leave the camera work out of it. I only went there because the playback was perfect. If it plays back fine from the camera and it plays back fine on YouTube then the file going in is okay and the file coming out is okay. So we have trouble inside your machine. It does not play well on VLC Player. So maybe not Premiere. Especially since you tried two versions. Quick question if you play it back in Premiere and cut the lyback resolution to 1/2 or 1/4 does the problem go away. I am still of the mind that you are asking your single hard drive to do too much. Let us know the Vegas results.
Serge Kouper

Post by Serge Kouper » November 27th, 2012, 2:05 pm

I've tried other resolutions and the lighter the footage the better it's handled by my computer.SD gives excellent fluidity, so I suppose that all my trouble comes from my computer that I thought was strong enough for the HD but it's not. I did this edit though... It's the best I could do and I'm not satisfied. Need for a mac?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlPRj5q4 ... el&list=UL
blit

Post by blit » November 27th, 2012, 11:10 pm

Hi
The edit looks wayyyy better, very nice. If I want to be a nitpick I could guess some was handheld and then stabilized. Perhaps some artifacts from that. Better to just drag sticks (tripod) along. But I am only guessing. Enjoyed watching it. About your computer, you could get a mac. They are quite expensive. I think a trip to your electronics store and obtaining a nice SSD drive, they might even put it in for you would solve your problem for not much money. No promises though! I had a client I built a K2600 machine for about 1.5 years ago. No news was good news, then he calls me and says the machine is *%#$. What? Turns out the machine he bought to cut one stream on he now felt should cut 6 HD streams no problem. Well - problem. But I just threw some more memory and a SSD in and he now cuts 6 camera shoots. He already had two very decent 7200 RPM drives and had gotton someone else to stuff in two more 5400 RPM drives (bleh). But the SSD did the heavy lifting, no RAID required. Of course if you need more space than one or more SSD drives can provide than RAID is your deal. But I still think you have a hard drive issue. Good luck with your great new camera.
glennpringle

Post by glennpringle » November 29th, 2012, 10:53 am

Played fine for me.

These look like Pans, Tilts and Zooms perfectly suitable for ENG, Sport, Reality TV or Docos(handheld) and should not stress the HD422 or the EX35 codecs at all as that's the type of footage cams like the PMW200 are expecting to see.
Serge Kouper

Post by Serge Kouper » February 5th, 2013, 5:02 am

Problem solved ! Replacing the PC by a higher specced one did probably some good, but the key was to output to a proper video monitoring through a Matrox MXO2 mini, playing the timeline with both fields on. (since the original footage was 1080i, that makes sense.) The result is just stunning and what you can expect from a professional camcorder.