EX 3 Noise

Discuss all aspects of the EX series camcorders here.
albert

EX 3 Noise

Post by albert » June 15th, 2012, 1:57 am

Hi
I wonder if someone can help with this.
We are filming a stage show this weekend and I have just checked our test rehearsal footage to ensure all our cameras match on the night. To minimise video noise we have selected a picture profile using CG1 and have noticed from our test footage that some routines are predominantly only in blue light, we shot the test scene at f1.9 and +3db gain to bring the luminance up slightly, but we noticed this has also saturated the blue even more and blurred out any fine detail, some test shots of the same scene have been shot at 0db and although the detail is much better and evidently less blue saturation, the image is overall darker. I was wondering if selecting CG4 instead would be a better option giving a brighter picture overall as this would allow us to shoot the scene at f1.9 or even f2.4 and be at 0db, so the question is..

Would CG4 be less noisy at f1.9 with 0db than CG1 at f1.9 with +3db? or perhaps stay CG1 at 0db and tweak in post?

Hope someone can help

Thanks
Andy

Using stock lenses, internal recording to SxS
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: EX 3 Noise

Post by alisterchapman » July 4th, 2012, 4:36 pm

The blue channel of any camera is always the noisiest. If you only have blue light and add gain it will get noisy. CG4 will probably give you a marginal advantage.