Picture Profile EX3 for high contrast environment

Discuss all aspects of the EX series camcorders here.
carlbo

Picture Profile EX3 for high contrast environment

Post by carlbo » August 18th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Dear Colleagues,
I will be filming in Myanmar for German-French Channel ARTE. Can you recommend a picture profile for a high-contrast environment (outdoors)? I want a picture as flat as possible since I will grade afterwards. Thanks!---Carlbo
Lmprods

Re: Picture Profile EX3 for high contrast environment

Post by Lmprods » August 25th, 2012, 1:14 am

Try this. I set it up for shooting in Ireland recently and have just graded the clips. No burn out in the skies. Plenty of range on an EX1.

adjust these settings in a picture profile
Matrix - Select Cinema
Level +20
Camma - Level +50
select - Cine 3
Black +10
Black Gamma +15
Low Key Sat +40

if you want it flatter still, increase the number on Black and Black gamma. Best of luck
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: Picture Profile EX3 for high contrast environment

Post by alisterchapman » September 4th, 2012, 6:19 pm

Hmm, some serious issues with those settings.

Gamma at +50 will increase the camera gain and as a result reduce the dynamic range. Highlights will clip earlier than they would at zero gamma gain.
Never raise the Black level above zero. You are wasting valuable data bits by doing this, all you are doing is raising the black pedestal level well above zero. The picture will look greyer, but you are absolutely not gaining any low end information, merely wasting data. Better to use more + black gamma, but again all your doing is raising the noise floor so again no appreciable dynamic range increase.