EX1R Music Video Help

Discuss all aspects of the EX series camcorders here.
antonc

EX1R Music Video Help

Post by antonc » June 16th, 2011, 2:56 am

Hello Everyone,

I am an EX1r owner of about one year and I am still trying to get the most out of my camera. I have a music video shoot coming up this Sunday 19th and was wondering if someone could share their experience/advice shooting/editing Sony EX1R. The shoot will take place outside in a park the whole day.

1. What is the best format to get the most filmic look out of the EX1:
1080 30p shut.1/60 or 1080 24p shut1/48??? The reason I am asking this is that a lot of people are not very happy with the 24p format and say that movement degrades/blurs the footage. There will be medium amount of motion footage. I will be using a rail/dolly system and tripod and I have got great footage in the past shooting 24p.

2. I will need to get a couple of slow motion shots. I know EX1 has a great true slow motion in 720p but since I am shooting 1080p to my understanding wouldn't work well. Would it be better to shoot the slow motion in 1080 60i and then slow down in post with twixtor to get the best quality?

3. Picture profile. I have read a lot on the net about PP and most of the professionals recommend to set it to your own liking using calibrated monitors etc. I don't have the luxury to afford testing systems so I really need advice on what to set it to to get the best picture. In the past I have been using Doug Jensen's vortex media picture profile and it works great! But recently I read about the detail function and that it should be turned off unless using a film adapter. I loved the fact that my image was nice and crisp with Doug's profile but maybe a bit too much.
To my understanding If I want to grade the picture in post I should use the cine gamma settings for best results cine 1 for outside cine 3 indoor. If you can please take a look at my picture profile and what you think about it. All advice would be highly appreciated and maybe help someone else in the future as well.
Alister Thank you for your work!

My Picture Profile Combination of Philip Bloom and Marvel suggestions:

Matrix ……………on

Select…………….hisat

Level………………0

Phase……………..-5

R-G……………….75

R-B……………….0

G-R……………….-18

G-B……………….-32

B-R……………….-27

B-G……………….13

Color Correction…………..off

White………………………..off

Detail………………………..on

Detail Level…………………-20

Detail Freq………………….+30

Crispening........................+40

H/V Ratio..........................-45

Skintone…………………….off

Knee..................................off

Gamma Level…………..-8

Gamma Select………….CINE1

Black……………………..-3

Black Gamma…………..0
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: EX1R Music Video Help

Post by alisterchapman » June 16th, 2011, 9:14 pm

The only settings I would suggest changing are to not use the HiSat matrix but instead use either the standard matrix or cine matrix and then boost the chroma in post. With the highsat matrix strongly coloured lights or vividly coloured objects can quickly reach saturation and clip. It's better IMHO to dial back the chroma in camera so it does not clip and then increase again in post.
Detail at -20 is approaching no detail at all. You might want to raise this to -10 if you want to keep a crisp looking image. It very subjective, there is no right or wrong, it's really your choice depending on how you want the image to look.

Watch your exposure with the cinegammas. Assuming you do intend to grade you will want to expose a stop lower than perhaps you would with a standard gamma. If faces and skin tones are over exposed with the cinegammas they don't look good.