EX1 distance from subject

Discuss all aspects of the EX series camcorders here.
AMSCLINKHAM

EX1 distance from subject

Post by AMSCLINKHAM » August 23rd, 2011, 8:04 pm

I'm arranging for a conference to be filmed using an EX1 - with the regular lens supplied. What is the optimum distance the camera should be positioned from the main subject (a speaker on the stage) in order to get a well focused close up? Thanks for any guidance.
flip1943

Re: EX1 distance from subject

Post by flip1943 » November 30th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Unless the lens needs some adjustment eg the back focus, I suggest that the problem implied by the question shouldn't arise. In 30+ years of photography and video I've never known the camera/subject distance alone affect the focus quality. Perhaps the most likely factor that could affect the quality will be a lack of illumination requiring you to work at wide apertures but that only makes your job as cameraman more demanding ie you'll have less depth of field available.

Far more important in the planning of such a shot will be the size you want the subject to be in the frame. If you want very tight close-ups then bear in mind the limitations of the lens. If image quality and focal length available are factors then I suggest you don't consider lens extenders but look for a camera which accepts interchangeable lenses and rent a lens for the job. I've recorded many concerts and stage shows over the years with two main cameras, one wide and one tight co-located in the middle of the balcony and getting a zoom lens that's long eenough for the tight BCU and wide enough for a full length of a standing subject can be tricky. Rent from a professional house and trust them.