ex1r FIRMWARE V1.0 RECORDING ON TO 32/64Gb CARDS

Discuss all aspects of the EX series camcorders here.
flip1943

ex1r FIRMWARE V1.0 RECORDING ON TO 32/64Gb CARDS

Post by flip1943 » November 30th, 2011, 5:11 pm

I recently rented a couple of EX1Rs from my usual Sony supplier. Unfortunately I noticed after the shoot that one of the cameras still had only v1.0 firmware. The 64Gb card from this camera also gave problems when placed in the reader and XDCAM browser (v.2.0).

Can anyone tell me what if anything I should expect to get from this combination.

Unfortunately I made the cardinal error (just to prove one can be stupid at an advanced age!) of allowing Windows 7 to scan the card and correct the file structure.

I appreciate even if they existed before by my stupid action I have probably put the files beyond recall. On the other hand, since the camera was rented and supplied with 32Gb cards (which I didn't use) I want to know if I should have been able to see any video clips orior to my Windows 7 stupidity given that the firmware was still v1.0. My reading on the Sony site is that these cameras require at least v1.15 to handle these cards. I don't want to fall out with my supplier because we've had a great relationship for 30+ years but if they've got at least some shared responsibility I'd like to know.

Needless to add I shall be a) requiring that any rented gear has the latest firmware and b) checking that it's so any time I rent in the future.
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: ex1r FIRMWARE V1.0 RECORDING ON TO 32/64Gb CARDS

Post by alisterchapman » December 1st, 2011, 9:28 pm

I think you do need 1.15 or higher and the latest SxS driver for the PC to use the 64Gb cards correctly.
flip1943

Re: ex1r FIRMWARE V1.0 RECORDING ON TO 32/64Gb CARDS

Post by flip1943 » February 3rd, 2012, 7:53 am

Alister, you're absolutely right but what I need to know is what one would get if one recorded to a 64Gb card using v1.0 firmware. My dealer thinks the camera wouldn't work but I have proof that that's not the case, rather I couldn't access the files that were recorded and had to rely on Sony's excellent retrielval service to get the clips. It would help if someone could give chapter and verse.