Zoom Controller

Discuss all aspects of the EX series camcorders here.
comvideo

Zoom Controller

Post by comvideo » March 29th, 2011, 5:46 pm

What are the recommendations for an add-on zoom control for the EX1R - something that's robust and can be mounted on the tripod? For the way I'm used to shooting with a tripod mounted camera the EX1R zoom controller is in an awkward spot.

Dan
mhvideos

Re: Zoom Controller

Post by mhvideos » March 29th, 2011, 6:37 pm

I use a Manfrotto MN521EX
It is designed for EX1 EX1R and EX3 lenses and clamps to the tripod handle
It has variable speed control and a Record Start Stop button.
I can recommend it

Martin
comvideo

Post by comvideo » March 30th, 2011, 3:46 pm

Thanks Martin. What EX camera do you use the MN521EX with? My EX1R doesn't have a particularly good zoom for zooming in and it bumps a little on starts. Zooming out it does well. Did the MN521 smooth out your zooms much over the rocker control on the camera?
Dan
mhvideos

Post by mhvideos » March 30th, 2011, 4:19 pm

I have an EX3
I use it for car racing so normally I am zooming quite quickly. Is has an adjustable maximum speed thumbwheel. If you turn it to the slowest position then it will creep. I have just tested it for bump, zooming in it seems an improvement over the lens rocker.

Martin
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » March 31st, 2011, 7:13 pm

I use a Fujinon zoom controller (the type used on broadcast lenses) with a Jony Jib converter cable that converts it from the broadcast fujinon connector to the EX connector. Works very well. The do a similar cable for Canon pro remotes. http://www.jonyjib.com/
comvideo

Post by comvideo » March 31st, 2011, 10:31 pm

Alister that's great. I have a Canon zoom controller from an old 2/3" lens that goes back to my Betacam days. The cable end has eight pins with a threaded collar. I hadn't even thought to trying and adapt it for the Sony EX1R. I'll check out the Jony Jib coverter cable. Thanks.
Dan
flip1943

Post by flip1943 » February 3rd, 2012, 8:09 am

We use three EX1Rs for our event/wedding production business and have Manfrotto 521EX supply arm for each of them. They are excellent except in one key respect which is that the red light on the supply arm indicates that the unit is connected to the camera ie "live".

That piece of information is superfluous and, worse, misleading because a light on the supply arm usually indicates that the camera is recording. As a consequence it's very simple to accidentally turn the camera off yet assume (by glancing at the supply arm) that it's still recording.

Our solution is to mount a miniature toggle switch on the front of the supply handle which cuts or connects the camera stop/start connection. Once the camera is started for a long sequence the switch is flipped down, isolating the operation of the stop/start element of the supply arm.