Help?

Discuss all aspects of the EX series camcorders here.
ollywood88

Help?

Post by ollywood88 » February 12th, 2011, 1:22 am

Hi Alister

Could you explain what high dynamic range is? Difference to latitude.etc how does this work in an ex1?

Also I was filming today what is the best way to expose a subject and keep that deep blue sky? Use polarising filters??

I had some shots on nd2 had to adjust shutter to get less exposure. Best to use filters? Don't want to underexposed the foreground or over expose the sky.

Was doing timelapses.

Thanks

Ollie
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: Help?

Post by alisterchapman » February 12th, 2011, 11:53 am

Lattitude is a measure of how a camera handles overexposure. Dynamic range is a measure of the range of brightness from dark to light that the camera can deal with. They are essentially very similar measurements.

Pola filetrs or Graduated filters are very good ways to control bright skies. You can also use modified knee settings to help, but there is a limit to how much extra you will gain by adjusting the knee. It's not a lot extra.

Always use the ND filters to keep your exposure between f5.6 to f2.8 to stay in the range where the lens will perform at it's best. Never use the camera with the aperture more closed than f8 as this will soften the picture due to diffraction effects.
ollywood88

Post by ollywood88 » February 14th, 2011, 1:02 am

Thanks.

Yes noticed past f8 goes soft. to achieve the image i wanted with blue sky i altered the shutter to compensate, luckily there wasn't too much motion.

What Pola filters are good for the ex1?

how does the dynamic work with the ex1?
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » February 27th, 2011, 12:38 pm

You can use most Pola filters on an EX. I would recommend the purchase of a lightweight matte box and a set of graduated filters to control bright skies, a circular polariser for improving cloud/sky contrast.

You might want to look at my threads and blogs about Cinegammas for information on how to improve the highlight handling on the EX cameras.