sony/hoodman sxs adaptors

Discuss all aspects of the EX series camcorders here.
jimstamos69

sony/hoodman sxs adaptors

Post by jimstamos69 » April 1st, 2011, 6:33 am

im finally buying my ex1r, was able to sell off my dvcam gear and ended up just being out of pocket 2500 for my ex.
however, i simply cannot afford the now, 750.00 32gb sxs cards, thanks to the japan mess.
how reliable are the sony and/or hoodman sxs adaptors?
i was lookng to get one of these with either the transcend or sandisk 32gb extreme cards.
im almost tempted to buy the nano to make sure i dont have an issue but then thats another 3K.
any input welcome.
Duke M.

Re: sony/hoodman sxs adaptors

Post by Duke M. » May 21st, 2011, 6:08 am

The name brand adapters work just fine. Don't get the cheap Chinese adapters off ebay or the cut rate sites.

Of more importance is buying fast SDHC cards. Some do not live up to their specs. The faster the true write speed the more likely you'll be able to overcrank to some degree. Most of the faster Sandisk cards work. Personally I like Transcend class 10 cards. Many others work, others only in certain batches, which makes it difficult to post lists of which cards work.
Kilrah

Re: sony/hoodman sxs adaptors

Post by Kilrah » June 4th, 2011, 12:24 pm

I've bought 2 of the MxR Extreme adapters, and they work perfectly. I was intending to use them with Transcend Class 10 32GB cards, of which I already had one for my DSLR, so I tested first with that, and it works perfectly, also overcranked to the max (NTSC, 60fps on 720p24 as that is what results in the highest bitrate in Sony's very weird frame size / frame rate / bit rate compression system). I filled the entire card up once with that overcranked setting in one go, then did the same but with multiple start/stops. No problem. I now ordered a second card. It's great, because they're actually the cheapest 32GB cards you find here, and they're class 10! All the other class 4 and 6 are more expensive... and I've never had a problem with a Transcend card in 3 years of using them.

For comparison I tried a few other SD cards I had around, apparently class 6 works fine in normal recording but not overcranked. Same with class 4, but I wouldn't count on it. Class means "minimum guaranteed write speed in MB/s", so it's worst case, which is the one that matters - but doesn't exclude the card performing better at times. So a class 2 will maybe write at 10MB/s at times which would work well, but could then fall down to 2 and cause trouble.
So class 10 it is for me.