Have to Teach EX3 - Any Tips?

Discuss all aspects of the EX series camcorders here.
JimGoose

Have to Teach EX3 - Any Tips?

Post by JimGoose » April 7th, 2011, 6:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I was looking for an EX3 online community that could give me some wisdom on this beastly camera. The place I intern at has asked me to lead a workshop on the EX3 and i'm a bit nervous... i've thrown myself into a crash course trying to cover and learn everything, especially the features unique to the camera. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas on what I should focus on? Most of these people have probably used lesser decent cameras. So far my plan is to show them as many features and settings as i can then let them go out and shoot, come back, and show them how to get their material into Final Cut. I figure they'll learn more hands on than they will from some guy blabbing :shock:

I primarily work with editing and have led several workshops/classes on FinalCut.

i'd greatly appreciate any wisdom/insights/advice I can get.

thanks in advanced,
J.G.
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: Have to Teach EX3 - Any Tips?

Post by alisterchapman » April 24th, 2011, 6:22 pm

Take the camera out and learn how to shoot with it, use it on some real projects, go through the manual and use all the features until you are 100% familiar with them. Then you will be able to answer any potential questions. Through use of the camera you will learn it's foibles and quirks and can pass that information on, if you yourself do not have sufficient knowledge of the camera to already know it's strengths and weaknesses then you should ask your self the question "Am I really qualified to teach someone else?"

Otherwise find someone that is familiar and confident with the camera to teach the course.

Sorry, but I've seen far to many examples of the blind leading the blind when it comes to video skills courses and this benefits no-one as a large amount of miss-information and bad practices get taught to students that then take it as 100% correct best practice.
JimGoose

Re: Have to Teach EX3 - Any Tips?

Post by JimGoose » June 7th, 2011, 2:54 am

Thanks, that's great advice and absolutely true. I've had my share of blind leading the blind when I was in school and have always tried not to repeat that with the editing workshops.

best,
J.G.