Looking for HD monitor on-camera

Discuss all aspects of the EX series camcorders here.
nathapushpa

Looking for HD monitor on-camera

Post by nathapushpa » April 19th, 2011, 2:31 am

I am looking for a good LCD monitor 8" or 9" HD monitor for Sony PMW EX1. Would like to see your experiences with your monitoe. Please mention the Brand, Model, where u bought and possibly the price u purchased. Thanks in advance
Nathapushpa - OZ
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: Looking for HD monitor on-camera

Post by alisterchapman » April 24th, 2011, 6:10 pm

At the moment I'm using a rather excellent 6" Transvideo Cinemonitor 3D HD. However this is a pricey monitor as it is 3D capable and offers some unique functions. I do know that several of my colleges have considered the SmallHD DP6 as good value for money. If I was in the market for a new monitor right now I would have to very seriously consider the Sony PVM-720 OLED monitor, the image quality has to be seen to be believed.
nathapushpa

Re: Looking for HD monitor on-camera Manhattan HD089C

Post by nathapushpa » May 5th, 2011, 1:06 am

Thx Alisterchapman for ur comments. But those ones you have mentioned were beyond my affordability. I am still an amerture videographer.

I found something cheaper(Still it's over US$1000 with all accessories) now and would like to know any advice on that model..

I would like to share some of your experiences with the Manhattan Model HD089C. I would like to know the reliability, after sales service with Manhattan, user friendlyness with the MENU and buttons,battery life of Sony battery BPU60, battery life(with Tekkeon battery-Model MP3450) and the battery extender. Also would like to know whether Tekkeon battety can be connected at the back of the monitor instead of hanging.

Please let me know if you can find a review for this model with website address. Your advice/comment is much appreciated. Thanks.

Nathapushpa-Brisbane-Australia
e-Mail: nathapushpa@gmail.com
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » May 5th, 2011, 4:33 pm

I've never used any of the Manhattan monitors so I cannot comment on them. Sorry!
sting

Post by sting » December 8th, 2011, 10:14 pm

I used an earlier model Manhatten LCD, though I used the Tekkeon battery and extender. I had hoped to mount this 15" on a mobile camera, but it proved unwieldy and shakey. No way for the hot shoe. No way for a clamp on the handle. If you have a good shoulder mount, such a large monitor may still caused wiggle. The shoulder mount I was using at the time with that by Vortex, and it wasn't thick enough to dampen the swaying despite my use of 2" wide brackets.

My particular Manhatten monitor was very finicky with the Tekkeon connector, but for the price, there was nothing of comparable size and quality in 2008. While you can Velcro the battery pack to the back of a monitor, or side of the monitor, these batteries are quite large and heavy. So, I wouldn't do it unless its on a different stand. The Tekkeon batteries are large and cheap for the amount of Li battery you end up with. There is advantage to the Sony batteries is 1) compact size/low carrying weight 2) secure fit.