Profile Setting EX3 Indoors

Discuss all aspects of the EX series camcorders here.
jeff king

Post by jeff king » February 29th, 2012, 3:06 pm

HI,
I use an ex3 for indoor dance recitals and indoor plays, both have simular lighting conditions as you could have one act or dance where the lighting is very dim with the ex3 f-stop set at 1.9 to an act where the lighting is bright putting the f-stop up to 7.2 along with several different color lighting, I try to set gain to "0" most times and use manual iris along with either manual or auto focus. Most of the events also have a black blackground.
I have only tried the factory PP settings but would like to get more color and stay as sharp as or sharper then factory PP, I believe I have used mostly PP2 or 3. but would love some help with what pp setting would get the most out of the above described conditions.

I make both Blu-Rays and DVD's out of the event I shoot and edit either in Avid Media Composer 6 or Edius 5.5.

Help
Jeff King
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: Profile Setting EX3 Indoors

Post by alisterchapman » March 1st, 2012, 5:11 pm

The standard EX cameras are already over-sharpened. If you increase the detail levels the pictures will most likely look worse rather than better. A PP using the cinegamma 3 may help, but if you have tough lifting to deal with, even the very best PP won't perform miracles.
jeff king

Re: Profile Setting EX3 Indoors

Post by jeff king » March 2nd, 2012, 2:50 pm

Thank you for your response, I will try a PP using Cinegamma 3 but I have read that use any of the Cinegamma would result in not allowing any changes to Knee Point. I have understood Kneepoint setting (currently set at 87) as a way to reduce the effect of overexposure which is one of my largest problems sense I have events I shoot that have very creative lighting tects that love to change the lighting as many times as the blink sometimes and going from low lighting where even at a 1.9 f-stop is still to low to a point where every light on stage is on along with a spot or two any you are at a f-stop of 9 and and trying to reach the ND lever.
I guess what I am looking for is a profile that will give me better or more vivid
color and still try to lower the blownout highlights. All indoor events I shoot have tungston lighting.

Thank You
Jeff King
Simon Wyndham

Post by Simon Wyndham » March 10th, 2012, 11:19 am

The cinegammas do not allow control over the knee point as you say, but they can help with a much smoother transition into the highlights. When you set the knee point to 87 or so with the STD gammas you are making a sharp transition to compress the highlight tones.

As Alister mentions there is only so far that you can go with PP settings to mitigate awkward lighting. Depending on your situation it might be a good idea to talk to those who are lighting the stage to see if it can be made more video friendly.