noise in dark areas and shadows even with the odyssey 7Q ?

This is where to discuss Sony's FS700 camcorder.
tividor

noise in dark areas and shadows even with the odyssey 7Q ?

Post by tividor » February 1st, 2014, 9:05 pm

since about 1,5 years i own the FS700, it's he first "pro" camera i own but it hasn't exactly been a joyful ride.
the main usage is for indoor shoots with artificial lighting, music video's etc.
i am not sure if something is wrong with the FS700 or if i am missing something but i just cant seem to get a crispy clean image when shooting indoors. (my 5D mk3 does a better job)
a lens i often use is the canon L 2.8 24-70 with the metabones speedbooster so i even win about 2 f-stops.

the image has always been kind of noisy, "restless" in the darker regions, while from what I've read, it's supposed to be a good low-light performer.
i've noticed that when using picture profiles it gets worse so i've read alisters articles i could find on this matter. (though it's mostly still abra cadabra to me so i'll need to read it a couple of times over)

http://www.xdcam-user.com/2013/11/under ... nderstand/
http://www.xdcam-user.com/2013/07/corre ... inegammas/

my guess was that it's a compression thing so i bought the odyssey 7q, bypassing the avchd compression, thinking this would solve the problem. but no luck.

could it be that the FS700 has some kind of defect so that the images it produces in lowlight (indoor, artificial light) conditions never get crisp clean?
hopefully i am missing out on something.

i am not an educated cameraman obviously but i want to try and understand what's going on.

hopefully someone is able to get me going because i think i should be able to shoot some impressive stuff with this combination, even in low light.

many thanks in advance!
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: noise in dark areas and shadows even with the odyssey 7Q

Post by alisterchapman » July 31st, 2014, 8:27 am

All cameras will have some noise. The FS700 is not noise free, but compared to most cameras it is low noise. Getting your exposure right is very important and minimising the amount of gain used.