Which Camera?

Discuss any of the full size solid state XDCAM camcorders here.
Robin

Re: Which Camera?

Post by Robin » June 2nd, 2012, 12:29 am

peter L .... thats just my wife putting rumors around.. :)
MartynS

Post by MartynS » June 2nd, 2012, 1:16 am

You are allowed one battery to be attached to the camera.. plus 2 more.. so sorry .. you can carry another one with you :)
oops,

flown to the States twice in 6 months with 3 Li batts in bag and one on camera and wasn't stopped!
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » June 2nd, 2012, 1:37 pm

Your lucky. I've had to leave batteries behind even when I've been within the limits. Worst countries are India, Bahrain and UAE where anything bigger than a consumer battery can be impounded unless you can get someone from the airline to get you through security. Mumbai is the worst and I had to leave behind the two 2 x DSM 98Wh batts I had last trip or simply not be allowed on the plane home. Never did get them back. Chennai took 40 minutes and a downloaded copy of the IATA regs to get 2x 98Wh batts through. Tokyo Narita will check that every battery is less than 100Wh and ask for certificates of conformity or proper CE FCC markings and capacity markings on each battery, each battery must be packaged individually and terminals must be covered. USA varies from airport to airport. ORD and LAX will check, DFW and LAS and most of the smaller regional airports don't care or are not aware of the regs. LHR T5 is OK, T3 may check as will Reykjavik, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Gibraltar (will refuse any over limits).
Inchon, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore, Hanoi, Bangkok, KL, all OK if your within limits. German airports all check, Frankfurt is the worst and will inspect all camera equipment very carefully. I've had a BA pilot refuse to carry Ni-mH in the hold and with the plane fully boarded had to negotiate carriage of the flight cased batteries in the business class wardrobe.
Robin

Post by Robin » June 2nd, 2012, 4:10 pm

IDX elite bats are good,as you can take the two "cells" out of the casing and carry them separately .. as they would;d be over the limit as "one battery"..
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » June 4th, 2012, 6:19 pm

The IDX system is nice as is the PAG Link system, but at the end of the day, your limited to 300Wh per person, which is marginal for many shoots and not enough if you only have infrequent access to a battery charger. Try taking enough power for a 3D rig with two cameras and 3D monitor!
Robin

Post by Robin » June 5th, 2012, 11:34 am

You should be allowed any number of spare batteries under 100Wh.. until you go over the carry on weight limit I guess .. as long as they are separate .. and sometimes they want the terminals taped up..
But yes major pain.. I always try to get them rented at the location now.. often of course rental batts aren't that good.. just order a lot of them.. :)
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » June 5th, 2012, 7:27 pm

The current regulations are that you can carry an item of equipment with an installed battery of less than 100Wh plus a spare or spares of "reasonable quantity for personal use". Each spare battery MUST have it's terminals covered or be packed in an individual container or packaging such as an insulating bag. The definition of "reasonable quantity" is up to the security personnel and/or airline personnel. In addition you are not permitted more than an aggregate of 25 grams of Lithium, which equates to roughly 300Wh. A typical 100Wh battery will be around 8 grams so 8 x 3 = 24, which is why you can't carry more than 2 spares in most cases. Furthermore the regulations for batteries between 100 Wh and 160Wh do restrict the TOTAL number of battery packs to 2, including batteries installed or attached to equipment (again keeping you below the 25 gram aggregate limit) and ONLY with prior approval of the airline which you are supposed to present to security staff and airline personnel.

Having seen a Li-ion battery fire and how it is impossible to extinguish, I wouldn't want a large number of them in an overhead locker. There would be no way the flight crew could deal with a fire involving multiple large Li-ion batteries. The best they can do is to wrap the burning battery in a fire blanket or water soaked blanket until the fire burns itself out. If that was a big fire involving lots of batteries the consequences don't bear thinking about. There is not only the fire issue but the huge volume of highly toxic smoke that are emitted.
Robin

Post by Robin » June 6th, 2012, 2:16 am

The IATA as of Jan 2012 says un limited amount under 100 Wh.. is the personal use clause something new.. ? leaving that to airport personal can never be a good thing. :(... but yes safety first i guess.. but leaving things up to airport personal is a nightmare .. Ive had to pay a fortune for a seat for my camera.. because they wouldn't allow the portabrace smuggler case.. which is designed for the over heads.. (it was a 747) .. to then be told that it had to be in the overheads once i was in the plane.. no refund or apology from BA.. but have managed to never fly with them again..
Finbo

Post by Finbo » June 13th, 2012, 1:00 pm

A colleague suggested he was thinking of buying an Ikegami HDS V10 HD Eng camera in favour of a Sony PMW 500. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this camera. In news, there's a general feeling the Ike DVCam cameras were better built/quality than the equivalent Sony DSR 570, for example.
Finbo

Post by Finbo » June 20th, 2012, 5:12 pm

I suppose mentioning another make of camera on a Sony XD Cam user website probably isn't the best place to get a reply to my last question!!