V1.2 Upgrade - Battery Problem

Discuss any of the full size solid state XDCAM camcorders here.
simonedwardscamera

V1.2 Upgrade - Battery Problem

Post by simonedwardscamera » July 7th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Hello forum,

A couple of colleagues have upgraded to the V1.2 software on their PMW500's and have discovered that since doing so their cameras throw up an error when using Swit batteries.

IDX and Pag seem fine but presumably there is a handshake going on between the other brands that isnt happening with Swits.

They have changed the detected battery settings in the maintenance menu but to no avail.

Can anyone throw any light on this. I won't be upgrading mine until I know for sure that there isnt something nasty in there forcing us all to buy a new batt package!

Cheers in advance,

Simon

www.simonedwards.tv
Robin

Re: V1.2 Upgrade - Battery Problem

Post by Robin » July 9th, 2012, 11:10 am

sorry slightly off topic.. I have a PMW500 also.. just wondering.. is it possible to go back to earlier version.. after a newer one has been installed.. ? any news from your mates yet ?
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » July 9th, 2012, 1:17 pm

What is the error?
simonedwardscamera

Post by simonedwardscamera » July 12th, 2012, 9:47 pm

It just says "Battery Error"

In the meantime we have discovered that it seems to only be a problem if one uses Swit Di_Bas batteries.

All other types of Swit are OK, as are IDX and PAG 96e.

The workaround has been to disconnect the centre three pins on an IDX v-mount plate and that way the "telemetry" between battery and camera is no longer there and so the camera just sees the batt as a power source rather than a source with information.

It works fine on the non-digital range of Swit Li-On's

Investigation continues!

Simon
simonedwardscamera

Post by simonedwardscamera » July 12th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Robin, no roll back is not possible.

That route was looked into!
Robin

Post by Robin » July 13th, 2012, 4:55 am

Hi Simon Oh yes Im sure that was probably the first thing that crossed their minds.. just wondering for myself if i had a problem.. do you use the digital extender.. I love it.. best thing since sliced bread..
simonedwardscamera

Post by simonedwardscamera » July 14th, 2012, 12:33 am

Hi Robin,

Ive not used it yet. TBH it's not something that I would chose to use but I will certainly give it a try. You never know til you do!

Cheers,

Simon
Robin

Post by Robin » July 15th, 2012, 2:42 am

I have a fujinon HD 4.5 wide angle zoom pretty much glued into the camera.. with an optical extender.. but then your having to open the stop and often change the ND filter every time you engage it.. and back again.. the extender is just the press of a button.. I was a bit worried about quality.. but had used it before on a PDW700.. and for TV anyway I didn't see any noticeable loss .. and you can use it with the optical extended too at a stretch .. and you can grab a shot you just wouldn't have without it.. good for doc work..