Hyper Gamma,s

Discuss any of the full size solid state XDCAM camcorders here.
Robin

Hyper Gamma,s

Post by Robin » July 24th, 2012, 4:30 am

Hi

Anyone using the Hypergamma,s.. any comments,thoughts.. advise..?

Thanks
chrisccw

Re: Hyper Gamma,s

Post by chrisccw » July 30th, 2012, 6:35 pm

I noticed noone has responded yet--I put your question to my editor, and here's the reply: Hypergama allows you to shoot with a higher dynamic range because it has a nice curve like film to it's gamma numbers verses the standard linear version. You should color correct or put a broadcast limiter on a hyper gamma because it records in the 109% space which is well outside of broadcast. But everyone should do that on everything just in case.
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » July 30th, 2012, 10:11 pm

Don't just throw a limiter on it because you will clip off your highlights and it won't look good. You must grade it. If your doing broadcast work then consider Hypergamma 2 which is broadcast safe, never goes above 100%.

I think the reason you didn't get a reply was your question is just too general. There is already a lot of general information on hypergammas on this site and other on the web. More specific questions will tend to get a better response.
Robin

Post by Robin » July 31st, 2012, 3:39 am

Chris and Alister.. thanks for both replies.. yes Ive managed to find quite a bit about the Sony HG,s now.. using 3 and 4 so far.. as all graded and made safe in post.. is anything broadcast that isn't graded .. even to a small extent .. seems to be contradictory . A program made for broadcast with out any grading at all.. ? with the exception of live news I guess..
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » August 6th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Lots of television shows don't get graded. Either because there isn't the budget or because the production company may not know whats possible. News, current affairs, documentaries often don't get graded.
Robin

Post by Robin » August 7th, 2012, 5:58 am

Ok thanks.. Im surprised that doc,s at least dont have some sort of colour correction .. as its all relatively easy and cheap these days.. I would have thought they would.. anyway I guess there is a reason Sony included the 1 &2 at 100% white.. for this very reason..