PMW500 Manual focus assist

Discuss any of the full size solid state XDCAM camcorders here.
Robin

PMW500 Manual focus assist

Post by Robin » August 20th, 2012, 5:15 am

Cant find out any info on this.. when activated (via assign button.). nothing seems to happen.. no explanation in the manual or internet ?? any ideas anyone..? Im thinking it might be something to do with EZ mode ??

Thanks
MartynS

Re: PMW500 Manual focus assist

Post by MartynS » August 27th, 2012, 7:41 pm

what VF you got?

works on our colour ones, we have it on assign 0.

I'm assuming you are talking about the digital expansion of the picture in the vf rather than some auto focus the lens does...
simonedwardscamera

Post by simonedwardscamera » August 28th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Nothing to do with EZ mode Robin...I didnt even know there was an EZ mode on the 500!

Works for me, I have it assigned to my lens return button and switch 0 on the camera.

Is it maybe because you use the digital extender?
Robin

Post by Robin » August 29th, 2012, 1:16 am

Hi Simon and Martin

Thanks for your replies.. its not the pic expansion function.. I have that also to assignable .. and the digital extender to another button.. its listed as manual focus assist.. Alister thought it might be something to do with being able to use the lens of the 320/350.. that has some sort of auto focus setting.. but he wasnt sure either.. I cant find any info about this function anywhere.. def not in the manual anywhere.. not a big deal just annoying not to know.. and if its a whole lot of red lines in the VF I wouldnt use it anyway.. but I do like the expander button.. first time Ive had this on my own camera.. good peace of mind function..!!
simonedwardscamera

Post by simonedwardscamera » August 29th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Ah ok, so it must be a false colour thing then, which explains why I've not even come across it on mine.

That manual is utterly hopeless isnt it! Half explains stuff that you might need, fully explains what you dont and ignores the crucial stuff!
Robin

Post by Robin » August 30th, 2012, 10:45 am

Well Im only guessing ..Ive seen monitors with this red line focus thing.. it should be in your 500 too.. only in the assignable menu... I assigned it.. but pressing the button had no effect at all..

Re the manual... yes a bit useless.. but at least decent English .. my first camera BVW400AP .. half the English made no sense at all.. and the Digibeta one wasn't much better a few years later.. I had the opportunity to have a word with some Sony higher ups in the Engineering dept.. when I shot a promo for the first disc camera,s in Japan.. with them also filming me as a model !!! :) I told them about both my previous camera,s totally useless English manual.. they have native English speakers in Sony Tokyo or just pay any old English teacher $100 to go through the thing to at least make sense.. and they did seem to be genuinely surprised.. $60,000 item you expect at least correct grammar in the manual l I told them..
Im sure they didnt change anything because of me.. but its a major improvement in at least making sense..
MartynS

Post by MartynS » August 30th, 2012, 2:19 pm

Am I being really stupid.....

when you talk about the red line focus thing, are you talking about the VF peaking which can be set to be one of 4 colours..?

I suspect I'm being stupid...
MartynS

Post by MartynS » August 30th, 2012, 2:49 pm

brilliant..

I was being stupid...

god only knows what it does..I suspect it might be something to do with the kit lens you can get. Won't even light up the assign switch on mine!
Robin

Post by Robin » August 31st, 2012, 1:25 am

Hi Martyn

Yes thats what Alister thought too.. let me check again if mine was actually light up.. I think it was.. I have the extra board for the digital ext.. ?

Thanks