PMW-350 HD and SD scene files

Discuss any of the full size solid state XDCAM camcorders here.
ssinghraja

PMW-350 HD and SD scene files

Post by ssinghraja » July 11th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Hi Alistair,
I just bought a PMW-350 and bought the SD board (many of our jobs are still SD and HD to SD on an NLE is cumbersome for long projects). Our other cameras are PDW-f335s.

I mainly do Indian weddings which are very colurfull and some of the receptions are low lit with mood lighting.

I shot a wedding last week in DVCAM mode and found the image to be on the soft side with the blacks appearing slightly crushed (black hair seemed 'black' instead of seeing the strands)

Could you suggest a HD and SD scene file with more punchy colours and less crushed blacks (and a sharper image in SD).
I dont mind switching scene files when switching HD/SD modes.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Raja
Sadha Video
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: PMW-350 HD and SD scene files

Post by alisterchapman » July 12th, 2011, 10:21 pm

One issue is the fact that the 350 uses HD gammas and this will not look optimal in SD. You should try using gamma 2 when shooting SD and st the black gamma to around +20. Also you will need to tailor the SD detail settings. Normally for SD you would use a lot of detail correction to make the images look sharp. I would suggest trying setting SD Detail level to +15 and SD Detail Frequency to -35.
ssinghraja

Post by ssinghraja » July 13th, 2011, 1:23 am

Thank you for the reply.
Just to clarify, when you say that the '350 uses HD gammas and this will not look optimal in SD', is this with all HD cameras, or specific to the 350? Meaning would the SD on my PDW-F335 be better?
And should I leave the HD settings to their default 'out the box' values on the 350?

Raja
Sadha Video
ssinghraja

Post by ssinghraja » July 14th, 2011, 12:08 am

....for the SD settigs did you mean Gamma 2 as 'Gamma select : 2 X4.5' in the camera menu?