PMW350 timelapse issues

Discuss any of the full size solid state XDCAM camcorders here.
Woody

PMW350 timelapse issues

Post by Woody » April 17th, 2011, 12:38 am

Hi Alistair,

So brilliant you are here sharing your wealth of knowledge with us all- much appreciated.
Quick question- In your video about S&Q motion and interval record in Iceland, you shot at 1 frame every second, with a slow shutter speed of 32frames. I have been finding that this sometimes creates problems- as it means that each frame recorded isn't necessarily a new frame, but simply a duplicate of a previous one, due to the shutter being open for longer than 25 frames. So this means that the result can be flickery and not smooth... Would love to hear your thoughts on this please- in relation to 16, 32 and 64 SLS, as this feature produces unbelievable images at night, and I am in Copenhagen now with access to a roof spot and want to shoot a lot of timelapses here...

Thank you in advance
Woody

P.S) Is there a decent camera glove that you know of available for the 350 yet?
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: PMW350 timelapse issues

Post by alisterchapman » April 24th, 2011, 6:25 pm

You are correct that shooting with a 32 frame SLS at 1 fps will introduce duplicate frames, but sometimes you just have to do it this way. A simple motion blur filter applied in the edit will more often than not hide the small jumps. If you set the camera to NTSC area the problem can be minimised. Otherwise shoot with SLS at 16 or lower.
slabysz

Re: PMW350 timelapse issues

Post by slabysz » August 23rd, 2012, 10:42 pm

Not sure if your camera has this (mine does), changing the number of frames exposed during each interval. So more than one frame is exposed. Maybe this would cure the double exposure.