PMW350

Discuss any of the full size solid state XDCAM camcorders here.
glennpringle

PMW350

Post by glennpringle » April 18th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've just bought a PMW350 after deliberating for some time over camera choice.

P2 or Sxs??????

Having used a customers PMW500 for some time I was not that impressed with it so opted for the 350. Some may say it's a step down but since SxS is the delivery format of choice for 2 of my customers but both are happy with SDHC cards (via MXR express adaptor), the 35mbits limit is no problem. I'll be probably buying an Atomos Samurai for those HD channel jobs where they insist on 50mbits plus at 4:2:2.

Anyone got any tips about using external recorders with this camera or any other suggestions other than the Samurai. I'm wondering about triggering the recorder via HD SDI and there seems to be a menu setting for it (HD SDI remote IF) but I've never tried it yet. My Firestore HD (HDV) triggers via i-link so I am hoping that this is a similar thing.

One problem I've had with the PMW500 is that with non Sony batteries the camera cuts out without warning when the battery is getting low, despite >25% being left in the battery, and then I've had the heart stopping moment when I look through the thumnails and find a bit of the last clip missing after getting a "not all media restored" message. The guys who set the 500s up say they can't do anything about it. Here's hoping the 350 doesn't suffer the same problem although chcking the user manual it should be accomodated in the Maintenance menu of the 350.

I've also got the Fuji HD lens which comes with the K model. Heard mixed reports about it but got to be better than nothing.

Any other tips on day to day 350 use would be appreciated.

Glenn
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: PMW350

Post by alisterchapman » April 20th, 2012, 12:39 am

There is a setting in the PMW-500 menu to change the points at which the various battery warnings are triggered.

You might want to think about the Convergent Design NanoFlash as an external recorder. If you use the NanoFlash at 50MB/s this is 100% compatible with the files the PMW-500 produces. The files can also be archived directly as video clips to XDCAM optical disc. This way you would stay 100% compatible with all XDCAM formats.
glennpringle

Post by glennpringle » April 20th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Thanks for the reply Alister.

The answer I got regarding the battery warning that it did not work with the SWIT batteries they supplied with their kit even when set to the 'OTHER' setting in the battery menu. I guess there may be something else they are missing in the menu but I've had 2 jobs where the battery is just getting low (2 bars on the on battery indicator) and the camera dies whilst recording. Not a nice feeling when the camera says 'SOME MEDIA NOT RESTORED' and there is a bit of an interview missing.

I looked at the Nanoflash just yesterday as CVP have it for £1700 inc VAT now .

Would I just import the clips into XDCAM browser/edit programme then export via USB to a PDW U1 for instance?
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » April 22nd, 2012, 11:28 am

You can copy NanoFlash 50Mb/s MXF's directly to a U1 via USB.
glennpringle

Post by glennpringle » April 23rd, 2012, 9:28 pm

Thanks for your help Alister.

Regards,

Glenn