How to activiate and use slow shutter function in F3K

Discuss the PMW-F3 and any other F series camcorders here
louis

How to activiate and use slow shutter function in F3K

Post by louis » September 17th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Hi Alister,

How to activate and use "slow shutter" function in F3K.

Actually i want to blur the background image in my recording, what i am doing now is increase the lighting and use ND filter then doing the focus, now i am getting the blur on background image but not much more. If i want to blur the background image completely what i need to do with F3K.

Is there any settings to get the complete blur in background image ?

last query, I am recording in PAL, could you please suggest me the settings of gamma and matrix to get the pink color skintone in my recording with F3K.

Thanks
Louis.
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: How to activiate and use slow shutter function in F3K

Post by alisterchapman » September 18th, 2012, 9:27 am

The trick to getting the shallowest depth of field, where the background becomes more blurred compared to your foreground is to use the widest aperture you can combined with the longest focal length you can. Ideally you want a lens that has an aperture of f2.8 or larger (f1.8, f1.4) and a focal length greater than 35mm.

With wider lenses it is much harder to achieve very shallow depth of field. You should use the cameras ND filters to allow you to use the largest aperture setting. You also want to compose your shot so that there is good distance separation between your foreground and background subjects.

The slow shutter (activated in the camera menu) is used to blur moving objects or create other special effects shots and would not be used to create shallow depth of field.

I would concentrate on one thing at a time get your focus and depth of field issues sorted before moving on to picture profiles and other settings.
louis

Post by louis » October 9th, 2012, 7:55 am

I am using 85mm sony prime lense. I have 35mm and 50 mm also.
starcentral

Post by starcentral » October 12th, 2012, 9:29 pm

To activate Slow Shutter go to MENU -> CAMERA -> SLOW SHUTTER then select frames between 2 to 8. This will blur everything moving in the frame however, so are you sure that is what you want?

As for blurred backgrounds, as Alister already mentioned f1.4 to f2.8 apertures will help as well as distance between the background and subject. Another trick is using long lenses (85mm or even more) and get further away from your subject. Depending on the size of your subject you might need to get very far away to fit the subject in your frame, but the added length also helps blur out background.
louis

which lens is suitable to my PMW F3K....

Post by louis » January 17th, 2013, 8:45 pm

Hi Alister and star,

I am a cameraman in my church....my church name is calvary temple, the biggest and largest gathering church in the world. On Jan 11th we entered in our new church building (stadium). its seating capacity is morethan 17000 believers. There is no church in the world having more than 17000 seating capacity and no church having morethan having 50000 believers members in atttendence. The beauty of the church is we build the stadium just in 52 days.....as nehemiah did in the bible....

my query is i am recording all the cermons with my PMW F3K and EX3 camcorders. I am using f3k with nikkor 500 mm lens. the problem is i am not able to get the full picture of stage with this lens and one more is the aperture of the lens is very low. It will not take much lighting. I am using ETC profiles.

Recording nearly 200 feet away from the preacher. My requirement is i want get the close picture of preacher when i am zoom in, at the same time i want to get full picture of stage when i am gone for zoom out.

please suggest me which lens is suitable to get these requirments and high aperture......

Thanks
Louis.
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » January 23rd, 2013, 8:55 am

Your using the wrong camera for that type of shot. To do what you want you need something like a PMW-500 with a 40x servo zoom, but that's not going to be cheap. I don't think there is one single lens that will do what you are looking for.
louis

Post by louis » January 23rd, 2013, 9:41 am

ya, its not cheap......sugggest me high aperture zoom lens to get resolve my problem...because you are the only one can help to me.......
louis

Post by louis » January 28th, 2013, 2:10 pm

any suggestion.....