F3 STROBING @25P

Discuss the PMW-F3 and any other F series camcorders here
Pedro Emauz

F3 STROBING @25P

Post by Pedro Emauz » January 11th, 2012, 12:37 am

Hi everyone,
I posted this on CML but had no reply, I decided to try here on the forum, it's my first post here:

I've been testing the F3 this week, shooting 1920x1080 25p 180º shutter Ex codec and noticed a very pronounced strobing effect on any movement in frame (static) or with any camera movement, even very slow pans. I know this can be an issue on interlaced monitors, but I don't recall to have noticed such a strong strobing on stuff I shot using other progressive capture cameras, as Red 1, Alexa, even the Canon DSLRs. and EX3 at 25p

I verified the camera settings and they are ok.
Is this something that you have also noticed shooting with the F3 in 25p?
Is the sensor capturing interlaced then converting to progressive?
This is for a shoot where the F3 will be the main camera and there will be a 5D B Camera (close-ups, macro shots of food, for out-of-focus bg type shots), so I want to avoid shooting 50i on the F3 as the 5D is native progressive capture.
The pronounced strobing is apparent on the F3 LCD, on a HD_SDI Cineroid VF and on the on-set monitor.
Thanks for any input.
Cheers

Pedro Emauz
Lighting cameraman
Lisboa, Portugal
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: F3 STROBING @25P

Post by alisterchapman » January 11th, 2012, 1:32 pm

The F3 sensor is a progressive sensor. It may be that the detail correction is set a bit high as this can exaggerate progressive judder as your brain tends to hold on to sharper frames more than softer or noisy ones. Film often looks less judder due to the random noise/grain structure which is different for every frame so your brain doesn't notice the judder quite so much.

I have no problem with progressive from my F3.