exposing Slog/Set workflow

Discuss the PMW-F3 and any other F series camcorders here
xyzowen

exposing Slog/Set workflow

Post by xyzowen » January 16th, 2013, 5:46 am

Hello All,

Allister- I just watched the video of your presentation for Sony on Slog, and after
trawling through a wealth of misinformation and misunderstanding on Slog
that seems to exist on most forums on the area, it was really useful to get
some hard facts and good explanations, so thanks!

In a few weeks I will be shooting Slog and would like to work like this:

recording slog to ki pro mini, monitoring onboard and at video village with a LUTed signal
-that I can easily switch on/off.

I have read in the article below, in firmware v.1.3 you are able to record a 422 slog signal
from port A as well monitor a LUTed signal from another sdi or hdmi out:

http://tinyurl.com/b5n698l

Would you agree? Or am I missing the point and you are actually able to shoot with a LUT
applied to your Slog in camera, monitoring with a LUT, both onboard and at video village
but simultaneously be recording a log image to an external recorder with no LUT actually applied.

Also, what major advantages do I have in using firmware v1.4 over v.1.2?

In your presentation Allister you say that its important not to expose your scene going off a LUTed
signal. I understand you say this because your not really recording a LUTed image, but a much
flatter looking Slog. However, what disadvantage is there to lighting your scene according to what it looks
like in say, rec709, when that really is a much closer representation of what your end product will
look like?

I was also wondering that if I lit from a monitor with a LUT applied, I could use the waveform on that monitor to
check exposure, and go off exposure readings I am more used to using with conventional
gammas, e.g. 50% mid-grey. I've worked for DP's who've lit logc on the Alexa in this way.

I am using the 'free' slog rather than the one that came with the SXS card if that makes a difference.
The F3 I will be using is currently running firmware v1.2 but will be upgrading as soon as possible.

If anyone could spare any time to answer I'd hugely appreciate it,

regards

Owen
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: exposing Slog/Set workflow

Post by alisterchapman » January 17th, 2013, 9:23 am

If your using the firmware only version of S-Log you won't have any LUT's and you will only have S-Log as a gamma curve option in a picture profile. When exposing S-Log it is important not to over expose as the higher up the exposure range you go the more compressed the signal is. This can then lead to it being difficult to get pleasant looking faces etc.