ISO / GAIN

Discuss the PMW-F3 and any other F series camcorders here
dfcorreia

ISO / GAIN

Post by dfcorreia » January 23rd, 2013, 2:31 pm

Hi Alister, thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I'm a little confused about ISO and GAIN settings on the F3, if you, or someone else could help, that'd be great.

The point is that it's said that at SLOG, the native ISO of the camera would be 1600, at 0 GAIN. I can achieve that if I go interlaced, but not progressive. I know it's because of the lines, so we should assume that, at 24p/SLOG, the native ISO of the F3 at 0 GAIN, is 800 and at 24p/STANDARD mode is 400, right?

The other question is about noise, do I really get less noise using GAIN at -3db at SLOG? or it just takes the brightness down, what gives less noise perception, although noise is still there the same way.

Best Regards for all,

Daniel
xyzowen

Re: ISO / GAIN

Post by xyzowen » January 24th, 2013, 2:49 am

Hi Daniel,

I had a very similar question on this forum a few months ago, when I asked why I was seeing noise in my shots exposing at 1600 iso in SLog, which I had thought to be the base iso in SLog (I had read so elsewhere online).

Allister responded with:
alisterchapman wrote:The noise is because you used 1600 ISO, S-log is designed to only be used at 800 ISO, using 1600 reduces your dynamic range, shifts mid grey and will increase noise. S-Log exposure is very different to normal gamma exposure. Middle grey at 800 ISO should be 38% some 1.5 stops lower than REC-709. White will only be 68% so the image when correctly exposed will be much darker than conventional gamma.
Why you can't get 1600 iso in progressive mode im not sure, im guessing, but possibly you have an earlier firmware version of SLog where iso was fixed at 800? And the base iso in interlaced is 1600? In the version I was using, v1.2, changing different iso in interlaced or progress was no problem.

And yes, as far as im aware Sony rate the camera at 400iso under a normal non slog cinegamma.

best,

Owen
dfcorreia

Re: ISO / GAIN

Post by dfcorreia » January 24th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Hey Owen, thanks for your comments.

I'm using the firmware 1.4.

When I change to Slog, at 1080/23,98, the camera gives me a native iso ( GAIN at 0) of ISO 800. If I change to Standard, the camera gives me a native ISO of 400. Using interlaced, I get one stop, and I know that's normal because of the fields.

What confuses me is that sometimes I read people saying that the optimum iso to SLOG, for best DR, is 1600, but I suppose that is right if you're using any interlaced setting, not progressive. If shooting progressive, the native iso at SLOG is 800 (best DR). That's what I understood, and I just wanted to make sure. Anyway, I assume the best DR is achieved at GAIN 0, no matter what setting you're using.

About noise, I don't mind about loosing some DR using negative GAIN, if it gives me a less noisy image, but at some tests I've done, it seems that it just make your whole image darker, not really affecting noise. So, I'd better get a little bit more of DR using GAIN at 0 and darkening the image a little in post, to get the same results. That's what I suppose and I'd want to know Alister and others opinion about that.

Bests,

Daniel