NEX-FS700 Neutral Profile to match F3 Neutral.

This is where you can find my custom picture profiles for the FS100 and FS700
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: NEX-FS700 Neutral Profile to match F3 Neutral.

Post by alisterchapman » July 24th, 2012, 6:02 pm

These are REVISED settings for my Neutral profile for the FS700. This profile is also designed to match my F3 Neutral profile which you will find here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1060

The profile gives a neutral look with natural colours. Consider using Cinegamma 2 if you not grading are doing broadcast work as Cinegamma 2 is broadcast safe. If you are doing extensive grading consider using Cinegamma 4 with black gamma at 0 for maximum dynamic range but a flat looking picture.

All settings default unless otherwise stated.

Black Level -1
Gamma Cinegamma 1
Black Gamma High, level -7
Color Mode Type ITU709 Matrix, Level +8
Color Level -4
Color Phase -2
Color depth R +1. G -1, B 0, C -1, M +2, Y 0.
Detail level -5
AEMIKEA

Post by AEMIKEA » August 5th, 2012, 5:40 am

Hi Alister, when you say default, default for which profile to start with?

Thanks
Mike
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » August 6th, 2012, 10:09 pm

You can use any profile as the main profile differences are between gammas and matrix selection and these are changed in this profile anyway. The default settings are normally 0
TheBigKahoona

Post by TheBigKahoona » August 7th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Hello Alister. I was looking at your settings for the FS700. At the end of your original post you mention a few tweaks for maximum dynamic range and a flatter image. Would you also recommend using the "Standard" or "Cinema" Color Mode? After looking at these two modes the image seems much less saturated than the "ITU709 Matrix" setting. Also, I was looking at one of your old posts from last year for the FS100 where you outlined what you thought were the best settings to achieve a Log style image, and there you used the "Standard" Color Mode.

My goal in all of this is to achieve a Log style image for the FS700. It would also be amazing if you could write up the full details on how to set up a Picture Profile for the FS700 to have the most Log-style image possible for the camera. So far the closest I've gotten is the guide you posted above with the tweaks that you mentioned (Cinegamma 4, Black Gamma @ 0).

Thanks.
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » August 8th, 2012, 11:23 pm

I really don't think the FS700 would benefit from a log style profile. Just by using Cinegamma 4 you have around 12.5 - 13 useable stops of dynamic range. With an 8 bit camera like the FS700 thats an average of a little under 18 grey shades per stop. With Cinegamma 4 there is some stretching of the mid range to help compensate for this. If you start modifying the curve by bringing up the low end then you start to compress the mid range. The low end will come up in level, but so will the noise so you won't actually see any deeper into the shadows, so there will be little practical benefit, you may as well do it in post.
paulbreen5

Post by paulbreen5 » August 31st, 2012, 7:49 pm

Thank you very much.
Stonybalony