EX1R blurry image when camera panning

Discuss all aspects of the EX series camcorders here.
Gsolid

EX1R blurry image when camera panning

Post by Gsolid » September 18th, 2012, 3:02 pm

I am very new to video recording and my work got a EX1R.
The image captured is great unless camera is panning and tilting, even at slow speeds.
I am recording in 1080p25 with manual focus, shutter off, auto iris and gain ranging from 0 to 12.
The blurry disappears when the camera stops moving.
I'm looking to minimize the issue, if not remove it completely.

Any help would be great, thank
Robin

Re: EX1R blurry image when camera panning

Post by Robin » September 21st, 2012, 4:46 am

Use the shutter.. at 25p.. 1/50th.. this will help.. but you,ll probably get some anyway.. on that camera.. turn the detail down .. auto Iris is not good in 99% of situations..
Crawford

Post by Crawford » September 21st, 2012, 1:32 pm

Re., Blurry pans from the EXIR - I have been plagued by this and have found there are many references to it on the net. I am annoyed that Sony must have known of this problem but no warning was given in any sales literature I came across. Panning with a high speed aircraft in flight gives good sharp pictures as Alastair's original demo tapes will show but panning the camera across a static radiator with vertical flutes gives a horrible result. Panning verically up or down a tree trying to capture detail in the bark is even worse. The problem seems to be a defficiency in the MPEG2 processing. Staying with interlace, increasing shutter speed and reducing pan rates all help but it is a real problem and I presume there are no real solutions for this camera.

My questions are - Would a 50Mbpsc external recorder help? And have these problems been addressesd in later XDCAM-EX Camcorders?
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Post by alisterchapman » September 21st, 2012, 6:10 pm

Nothing to do with Mpeg or encoding. More to do with in camera detail correction and monitor/TV sharpening circuits that only work with still frames or low motion frames. Start to pan and the detail correction and image sharpening decreases. It's a common compliant on many cameras. See this: http://www.xdcam-user.com/2010/12/why-d ... -in-depth/
Crawford

Post by Crawford » September 23rd, 2012, 1:43 pm

Thank you very much Alister. Not much in video is perfect I know but I suppose my problem originated from setting the camera up on static subjects in a studio. I had not appreciated how much difference the detail setting setting had on this particular motion problem but after taking your advice and spending an aftenoon panning and tilting at last I feel I have it under control. So thanks again.
Gsolid

Post by Gsolid » September 24th, 2012, 11:30 am

Thanks, I'll try the 1/50. Also I just found the xdcam users YouTube Which has lots of good stuff and one detailing this issue.