PMW 500 - Are any upgrades/updates planned?

Discuss any of the full size solid state XDCAM camcorders here.
Finbo

PMW 500 - Are any upgrades/updates planned?

Post by Finbo » October 12th, 2012, 10:45 am

I've decided to go ahead and buy a PMW 500 over a 350 with a bolt on nanoflash, or similar, as and when I need 50 mbps. The 3 CCD chip seems to have a more positive reviews and less potential problems like skew and banding than the CMOS chip as well.

I have a 3 month window to buy one and am actively looking at new and second hand.

If I buy new, I was wondering whether Sony had any plans to update or upgrade the model or any of its features. I'm just wary that if I bought new I don't want it to be superceded by a newer model soon after.

As Sony has brought out the PMW 100, 150 & 200 recently, it looks as though the company is looking to continue with HDCam EX with the SxS card format for some time yet.

Also, can anyone offer feedback on the black and white HDVF-20A viewfinder. The cheap Sony colour viewfinder doesn't seem to be finding much favour from what I'm being told and the company's other colour viewfinders are ridiculously expensive.
Robin

Re: PMW 500 - Are any upgrades/updates planned?

Post by Robin » October 12th, 2012, 1:42 pm

I got a 500 in May this year.. buying in the US was by far the cheapest place.. great camera.. buy it with the board installed.. I find the digital extender very useful .. SXS will be around a while I think.. and was also chosen by Arri to used in the Alexa.. a good endorsement if ever there was.. for my level of use the orange cards will be fine..

My only initial dislike was the HDVF 20A VF.. dont get the cheap color one.. waste of money.. Ive grown used to the 20A .. but no where near as good as my old digibeta VF.. its the same VF as HDCAM range.. maybe Im too picky.. but of the choices its a good pick.. unless you have a 6 months job coming up and want to splash out on the exp color/BW one.. which is also quite big and heavy..

Also think the 500 is a big step up from the 350.. and I soon got sick of having as nano bolted onto my HDX900.. 500 is a great camera and a very good price.. slo mo is good.. slo shutter.. cache .. 1080 and 720.. time lapse.. etc.. 50 MBps.. really a great work horse all rounder..
Finbo

Post by Finbo » October 12th, 2012, 5:35 pm

Thanks for that. What sort of price is the camera in the US compared to the UK?
Robin

Post by Robin » October 12th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Finbo wrote:Thanks for that. What sort of price is the camera in the US compared to the UK?
Cant remember exactly.. but much cheaper .. Im not UK based .. but still cheaper to fly to LA for a weekend to get it.. something around $34,000 with VF 20A and some cards,with board installed..
Finbo

Post by Finbo » October 13th, 2012, 9:22 am

Pardon me for my ignorance, but is the digital extender similar to having another doubler (x2) on the lens? Or does it work instead of one even if you have it available on the lens? Not seen this feature before - don't think it existed on dv cam, so not sure how it works.
Robin

Post by Robin » October 14th, 2012, 3:54 am

Finbo wrote:Pardon me for my ignorance, but is the digital extender similar to having another doubler (x2) on the lens? Or does it work instead of one even if you have it available on the lens? Not seen this feature before - don't think it existed on dv cam, so not sure how it works.
My previous camera,s didnt have it either.. Digibeta /HDX900 .. But I found it sort of my accident on a PDW800 I had rented for a shoot.. the effect is the same as an optical doubler 2X but is done "electronically " sorry i dont know the actual tech details.. there is no light loss as with the optical doubler.. so you dont have to put in the doubler and then adjust the iris.. and the opposite all over again when you take out the doubler.. there has to be some sort of drop of quality.. but from just looking at my monitor Pana BT 9inch HD.. which is a pretty good one.. I think for tv use you cant see any noticeable drop.

Ive found it very handy when you just want to bash in and grab a longer lens shot .. using one of the assignable switches..

You can use this digital EXT at the same time as the optical one built into the lens.. I did this recently on a very bright sunny day getting a nice heat haze effect on a race track.. with a HJ 22 got a really good telephoto shot that the other camera couldnt get as it didnt have the internal board installed.. on a cloudy day.. or low light levels it may not have worked.. and yes Im sure you wouldnt want to shoot a big chunk of a program like this.. but for the odd shot with enough light I think using the two together is fine.. esp this one that had a ton of heat haze off the track it was sort of impressionistic anyway !!
Finbo

Post by Finbo » October 14th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Sounds a useful function, but checking the Internet it's not a cheap option! I'll have to wait and see whether the budget will stretch to it when I come to buy the camera.
Robin

Post by Robin » October 15th, 2012, 4:12 am

Finbo wrote:Sounds a useful function, but checking the Internet it's not a cheap option! I'll have to wait and see whether the budget will stretch to it when I come to buy the camera.

Most US sales price is with the board included/installed.. mine was from Sammy.. B&H is the same.. B&H and Abel Cine and Sammy have branches in NY.. probably cheaper to fly there from UK. presuming you are UK.. then buying in the UK..
Finbo

Post by Finbo » October 18th, 2012, 10:13 am

I don't know whether Alister or anyone else can comment on one of my original questions; are there any plans to make any changes/upgrades to the PMW 500 in the near future?

Just wary of buying a camera and then being caught out by an 'improved version' coming onto the market soon after.
Robin

Post by Robin » October 18th, 2012, 10:35 am

PMW500 is pretty recent.. there has been one software upgrade since I bought in May this yr.. the 500 was quite a bit of change as the first shoulder camera /2/3 inch CCD chip camera to record 50 Mbps to SXS cards.. (pretty sure this is correct) maybe Alexa did before.. so not like its looking to be any sort of end of the line model.. personally I think SXS will be around for a while..

There is the new F ? camera coming out end of the month.. but doesnt sound like a 2/3 inch chip camera.. maybe the long awaited F3 upgrade to 50 mbps.. ? you could wait for that to happen I guess

End of the day .. very few people actually know if a new camera is coming out.. you can make a valued judgment.. eg I was wary of buying a PDW disc camera as i thought it was going out.. but since then they have come out with another model.. (but only interlaced..) if you have the work for it buy it.. waiting for the next best thing .. could mean well.. just endless waiting.. :)