Dead/Stuck Pixels on PMW200

This forum is for the discussion of Sony PMW handheld camcorders.
Lesk

Dead/Stuck Pixels on PMW200

Post by Lesk » December 10th, 2012, 2:47 am

I recently started a new project on the PMW-200 that requires me to...
a) do a lot of flying
b) do a lot of filming around x-ray, MRI, EEG and ultrasound machines (basically a hospital)

...and while to the best of my knowledge i havent suffered and stuck/dead/blank pixels or whatever you prefer to call them i have become very wary of their existence after a discussion with the productions editor who encountered the problem of stuck pixels on the similar show before which apparently was due to either the flying at high altitudes or working around x-ray machines. On that show they used the 350.

He is presently going through the first batch of footage this week doing a check but was wondering if anyone has ever encountered this problem before? Especially if it has been encountered on the PMW200 and if so how did you fix it?

Any input appreciated

Thanks
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: Dead/Stuck Pixels on PMW200

Post by alisterchapman » December 10th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Hot pixels are normally caused by cosmic rays which are incredibly high energy particles from deep space. Flying on polar routes can increase the risk of damage by cosmic rays. As far as I know normal X-Ray, MRI machines etc pose no risk.

It is always advisable with any camera to black balance at regular intervals to refresh and reset the pixel levels. CMOS cameras don't tend to show up stuck pixels as often as CCD cameras.