PMW 200 Transfer time of 8 hours ? Any solutions ?

Discuss Solid state workflows and backups here.
Raja_Ireland

PMW 200 Transfer time of 8 hours ? Any solutions ?

Post by Raja_Ireland » January 21st, 2013, 8:12 pm

Hey All

I wonder would anyone be able to shed some light on this issue I have been having. I bought the new sony pmw 200 last week. What I have experienced is that when I try to capture in the footage I have shot the transfer times are massive. For example I shot about 20gbs and it took 8 hours to import. I don't know if it is something simple that I have missed. My set-up is, USB from Camera into my Macbook Pro and then firewire 800 from the computer to a G-RAID, I have been copying and pasting the files. I had an Ex1 and and Ex3 and never had this issue. I did notice a reduction in transfer time if I use the sxs card reader that I had left over from my EX1. The problem with that is I have been using the new XQD cards and the drive does not recognize them. Has anyone else had this problem or have any solutions? Is Thunderbolt the only solution to speed up the transfer? The footage was shot HD422@50mbps. Thanks for taking the time to read the post any advice is welcome.
Robin

Re: PMW 200 Transfer time of 8 hours ? Any solutions ?

Post by Robin » January 25th, 2013, 12:54 am

Do you have the Sony software in your computer.. you will need the UDF driver for XDCAM HD 422 footage as its a UDF file .. unlike he EX3 XDCAM EX..

Also USB2 will be slow for 50 mbps footage.. but shouldnt be that slow.. the UDF driver will speed it up a lot.. free down load from Sony.. dont know what you mean by copying and pasting the files.. but I would suggest you also down load Content Browser.. free download from Sony.. this software you can see your clips.. and copy to your ext HDD..

There could be something wrong with your RAID set up I guess too.. but anyway you will need the UDF software.. and I recommend Content Browser too..

If your going to be shoot ing alot of XDCAM 422.. I think you,ll have to invest in the USB3 card reader.. or Sonnet TB reader.. and a computer that is compatible.. USB2 will always take time with these bigger files..

Ah just noticed.. you are not using SXS cards..? I havnt used these other cards.. so cant comment about them.. but 8hrs for 20 GB,s is not right for sure..