Matching EX3 to GoPro Hero2

Discuss all aspects of the EX series camcorders here.
Synergyfilmsnz

Matching EX3 to GoPro Hero2

Post by Synergyfilmsnz » December 28th, 2012, 1:25 am

Hi there,

Has anyone developed a PP setting that matches the look of a GoPro Hero 2?

I've been doing quite a lot of shooting lately where I'm using both a GoPro and my EX3 and have been quite surprised that the native GoPro footage actually looks crisper and more vibrant than the EX3 footage when I bring it into FCP.

I will confess to not having tweaked the EX3 settings much beyond the basics of colour temp and the odd foray with gamma settings as I still am getting my head the whole picture profile area.

Any wisdom and insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance...

Steve Murray
Synergy Films
Cheers,

Steve Murray
Synergy Films
dimi2013

Re: Matching EX3 to GoPro Hero2

Post by dimi2013 » July 6th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Hi Steve,
Don't know if you've found a solution to your question yet as this is quite an old post. Anyway, if you have, would you post something? I have an EX1R and a GoPro Hero 3. Most of my efforts have been spent on finding a good support to mount the GoPro on my bike, a helmet cam has yielded the best results so far.

As for the quality between the two, I've found that tweaking the picture profiles of the EX1R is by far the best way to achieve the quality you desire. I used to tweak the footage in post but that was so time consuming. I try to get generic shots from both the EX1R and GoPro and then make my tweaks w/the Sony until it matches the GoPro. I know, I know, it's long and tedious but once you nail it, that's it. Otherwise, you have to drag it out in post.

Take care and post something once you've tweaked your cam, if you haven't done so already.
Synergyfilmsnz

Re: Matching EX3 to GoPro Hero2

Post by Synergyfilmsnz » September 6th, 2013, 1:17 pm

Hi Dimi,

Thanks for posting. No I haven't discovered anything... Did you find a generic setting that got close to matching the saturation and sharpness of the GoPro? Must confess I'm a bit of newb when it comes to customizing the EX3 picture profiles!
Cheers,

Steve Murray
Synergy Films