FX9 LUTs when shooting 1080P

jamieurman

FX9 LUTs when shooting 1080P

Post by jamieurman » June 19th, 2021, 8:52 pm

Hey Guys -

Owner and operator of the FX9 and am generally very happy with the camera but ran into something that was very disappointing (something I knew but had forgotten). When shooting 1080P footage** you are unable to use LUTs at all (item is grayed out and unavailable in the menu system). You are able to use video gamma assist within the EVF which is helpful, BUT what makes the FX9 so great to me is that you can shoot 4K Slog3 and then monitor and exposure and shoot using the s709 LUT which looks beautiful and allows you properly judge exposure, etc. It's so straightforward and clean and simple (CineEI setting >> slog3 >> s709 LUT) and everything just works. It's the best way to use the camera and addition of s709 was a real gamechanger to me. But when shooting 1080P the connected monitors to the SDI outputs only show slog3 footage which I don't like sending to the director or producers and I also really enjoy using s709 LUT as a judge of exposure and final look of a scene.

My question is if any of you have any idea if future firmware updates will allow use of LUTs with 1080P setting. It seems like such a basic request for a camera in 2021 to have LUTs available when shooting 1080P but unfortunately is not the case with the FX9 which is otherwise this incredibly well designed and built and considered camera.

**Many unscripted pilots and proof-of-concepts and sizzle reels will shoot in 1080P as they require quick turnaround OR the post department will simple require 1080P as they don't want to deal with 4k. I obviously prefer to shoot 4K as it has it's advantages, but get a fair amount of requests to shoot 1080P as well.