Derush with XDCAM Browser 2.1

Discuss Solid state workflows and backups here.
alainvanhaecke

Derush with XDCAM Browser 2.1

Post by alainvanhaecke » July 29th, 2012, 1:49 am

hi, I usually Mark In (I) and Mark Out (O) all my clips to choose the good part in it (more clean and remove extra lenght) and then I create New clip using In/Out selection and after that I delete the original.
As this is a really fast step, I suppose there is NO re-encoding but only shortening ? I don't understand how the software can cut into the clip without re-rendering, is it specific to Sony's XDCAM Browser ?
This allows me to gain space on my HDD source files and the clips becomes much pleasant to ingest in the timeline of Premiere because I only see great shots in the bin.
Do you proceed somehing like this too ? thanks, Alain

+ I noticed that empty folders of deleted clips were leaving in the BPAV structure. To clean this at the end of the "derush" step, I move all the final clips to a new folder in XDCAM Browser : it re-create a complete new/clean BPAV structure, so I can delete the old one. Hope that could help someone...
alisterchapman
Site Admin

Re: Derush with XDCAM Browser 2.1

Post by alisterchapman » July 29th, 2012, 6:38 pm

There is a little bit of re-encoding around the edit points to ensure that the GoP is legal. Normally the in point will need a new I-frame, but it is only a few frames that get re encoded.
alainvanhaecke

Re: Derush with XDCAM Browser 2.1

Post by alainvanhaecke » July 30th, 2012, 5:13 am

Thank you Alister, I better see now.
In fact, after some observations, it seems that it cuts sometimes some images before my Mark In point or after the Mark Out point, I suspect it cuts where it detects the nearest I-Frame to complete an entire Long GOP. It that case, it probably doesn't re-encode anything, who knows, but the result seems a clear image along the clip.