CCA Mount needed for PMW-300?

This forum is for the discussion of Sony PMW handheld camcorders.
ukcameraman

CCA Mount needed for PMW-300?

Post by ukcameraman » January 7th, 2014, 5:30 pm

Hello all.

My name's Matt Conway, I've just joined as I'll soon be buying a PMW-300.

I've already got a Sennheiser MKH-416, with a Rode WS-7 windshield. When I've used this on EX-3s the windshield would appear in the top-right of frame on wide-shots. I was thinking of buying this rycote camera clamp http://www.rycote.com/products/softie_k ... _with_cca/ if the problem is the same with the PMW-300. Does anyone here have any experience of using the camera with a 416 in a fluffy windshield? Any intrusion into vision?

Unfortunately I can't just buy the camera first and find out as I need to get all the kit at the same time to get the VAT refunded (i'm on the flat rate scheme.)

Thanks in advance,

Matt.
Matt Conway
www.ukcameraman.co.uk
nifobild

Re: CCA Mount needed for PMW-300?

Post by nifobild » January 10th, 2014, 10:31 am

Hi!
From the center of the camera microphone mount to the place where the rycote appears in frame (Fujinon 5.8mm) is 25 cm. In my oppinion that should be enough.
On my 300 camera I'm using a shorter stereomic from th F3. Hope thet this info will help.
Good luck!
/Niklas
ukcameraman

Post by ukcameraman » January 10th, 2014, 6:52 pm

Thanks for your reply Niklas.

The Rode softie is 23cm long and about 9.5 (fluffy) cm in diameter, so I think I should try and borrow one to be certain.
Matt Conway
www.ukcameraman.co.uk
johnfoster

Post by johnfoster » March 25th, 2014, 3:03 pm

My experience with the 416 microphone is fine -- except in a high wind, with the fluffy wind sock, it may shake the camera. And sometimes the wind sock creeps forward and gets into wide angle shots.

JF
ukcameraman

Post by ukcameraman » April 5th, 2014, 10:43 am

Thanks John. I did end up getting the CCA mount adaptor. Like you say it is only in extreme circumstances that it comes into shot, but I do find that it really improves minimising handling noise anyway. I don't always use it but good to know it's always there.
Matt Conway
www.ukcameraman.co.uk